The Jr. Titan Mites completed their season this week at the March Madness Tournament held at Iceland.  As with last week, the Titans opened against an inferior foe and easily dominated the Mercer Chiefs en route to a 6-0 win.  Danny Kerber, Trevor Cear, Connor Tuzeneu, and James Waiter each had two points in the Thursday night contest.

The Titans returned to Iceland early Saturday morning to play the Lawrence Flames.  The Titans had a very rough start and found themselves trailing 4-0 early in the second period before mounting a comeback.  The Titans roared back, closing the gap to 5-4 early in the third period, before falling 7-4.  In the end it was penalties and lack of team play that doomed the comeback effort.  Alex Phipps led the team with two goals.

Immediately following the Flames game, the Titans entered the skills competition where the team of Kurt Yamen, Ian Huggan, Tuzeneu, and Cear came back from third place after three legs to win the relay race at the line.  The team of Phipps, Sean Mylod, Jonathan Delaglio, and Ryan Damelio finished second in the stickhandling relay race.  Michael Florentine finished second in shootout goaltending.  A great job and a fun time were had by all.

The Titans returned to Iceland Saturday afternoon needing a win against the Princeton Tigers to advance to Sunday’s final against the Flames.  The Titans started slowly again and were trailing 2-1 after one period of play.  They refused to give up stormed into the lead with four second period goals to take a 5-3 lead and added two in the third to provide the final 7-3 margin.  Each of the team’s four leading scorers, James Waiter, Cear, Phipps, and Will Lemonie, scored in the game with Cear dominating with four goals.  Danny Kerber chipped in with the first playmaker (three assists) of his career.

Sunday’s final featured an intense rematch of the Saturday morning game of the Titans vs. the Flames.  Both teams played very well throughout, but the Flames opened up the scoring in the first period.  Cear evened the score in the second, but the Titans again gave up the go-ahead goal on a power play before the end of the second.  In between the second and third periods, Coach Kerber reminded the players of that they had come back from the same deficit at the same point in the game to win the championship at Wall Sports Arena the week before.  It didn’t take long for Cear to strike again to even the score and make it a 10-minute game.  The winning goal was scored by Lemonie, who crashed the net and got to Waiter’s rebound before the Flames defense, with approximately four and a half minutes to go.  Florentine was very good in between the pipes for the Titans in only giving up a breakaway and a power play goal in the contest.

  Thank you to all the players and parents, to my assistants John Huggan and Tom Heiser, and especially to our team manager, Kristine Huggan, for a thoroughly enjoyable season.  Each and every one of you players has shown tremendous improvement since this summer.  I look forward to seeing you all at our end-of-season party and then again in a few weeks at tryouts.