The Titans traveled up to the Rock Ice Pavillion in Dunellen to play the NJ Penguins and were looking to play 3 periods of solid hockey to carry into this weekend’s holiday tournament. The steady play and victory unfortunately got overshadowed by a serious injury to dependable blueliner Devon Corso.

At 5:38 in the second period, Devon crashed into the boards in the offensive zone and went down in noticeable pain. Later we found that he had broken a bone in his leg as well as his ankle. A quality player such as Devon will be seriously missed.  The the injury likely has ended his season. More importantly, lets hope he heals well and has a speedy recovery.   Keep smiling  Devon!. 

The Titans struck first at the 9:40 mark on a goal by Conrad Quinn when he found a loose puck in a scramble in front of the net and put it up over the goalie. Thomas Wiedmann manning the nets was looking sharp for most of the period killing off three penalties but the Penguins found the net at 5:15 to tie the game 1-1 ending the first period.

The Titans wasted no time taking back the lead when Brian Walsh scored 30 seconds into the second on an assist by Charlie Morton. At 13:58 the Titans went ahead 3-1 on a weird deflection off a Penguin defenseman with Pat Bruno getting credit for the goal. Wiedmann, with great defensive help, clamped down in nets and turned away all shots he faced ending the second period 3-1.

Corso’s injury at the end of second seemed to get the boys understandably off focus at the start of the third. The Penguins took advantage when a speedy winger went buy our defense and scored on a breakaway past Wiedmann at 12:21. The boys regained their composure and played a solid third period with good penalty killing, defense, and a great forechecking game by our offensive players! Our offense had a team high 40 shots on net! The Penguins being badly outshot and outplayed did manage a late powerplay goal at 1:44 that Wiedmann had stopped, but dropped out of his grasp and was scooped in by the Penguins tying the game 3-3.

Timmy Behan was not going let this solid team effort go to waste when he answered back 7 seconds later on a wicked shot the Penguin goalie is still looking for. The game winner came at 1:38 for a 4-3 victory. Keep up the hard work boys and good luck this weekend!   All our prayers are with you Devon. Good luck on your recovery!